AMSI TRAVEL GRANTS
GRANT APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
AMSI offer a travel grant to support student travel to AMSI Winter School 2017. These grants also help cover the cost of accommodation while attending the residential school. Accommodation for students who are successful with their grant application will be located at UniLodge South Bank, which is a local student accomodation provider on Brisbane’s South Bank, close to the QUT Gardens Point Campus and the CBD.
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments, however, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university. To check whether your institution is an AMSI Member, or to find out the details of your University’s AMSI Member rep, please click here.
The grants are funded by the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute, the Australian Government’s Department of Education & Training, and the Queensland University of Technology, as part of the ‘Securing Australia’s Mathematical Workforce 2016-2020‘ project. Grants are determined on a competitive basis by the Grant Committee.
1. AMSI Travel Grants provide full or partial support for Australian enrolled male and female mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer, AMSI Optimise, AMSI Vacation Research Scholarships)
2. Applicants must be:
(a) enrolled in a mathematical sciences program at an AMSI Member University
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Participant travel
(b) Participant accommodation
Note: Funding will not be granted for day-to-day expenses, for example groceries, clothes, toiletries, etc.
4. Each applicant can receive at most one AMSI Travel Grant in any one-year / 12-month period.
Award of Grants
5. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis by the Committee, taking into account overall benefit to the applicants. The Committee may seek additional information and/or advice as required.
6. Applications may be submitted during the application period, and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
7. Applications should consist of the completed application form including, but not limited to a budget listing expenses requested and a letter of support from your current supervisor, honours coordinator or head of mathematical sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this grant.
8. Funding of up to $2,000 is available per application, at the discretion of the Committee.
Conditions of Grant
9. In applying for an AMSI Travel Grant applicants agree:
(a) that their name, photo and/or biography can be published on the event website, and for other AMSI reports and promotional material
10. Recipients must participate fully in the program that funding is received for.
Payment of the Grant
11. The AMSI Travel Grant is paid by the Event, on confirmation of full attendance from Event Director.
- There are limited funded places available, and these awards are competitive, therefore, not all applications submitted will necessarily be successful.
- The right is reserved to allocate and offer an applicant a lower level of funding than originally requested.
- If an application for funding is unsuccessful, and attendance is dependent on this money, a full refund of the School Fee will be offered on receipt of a written request to withdraw from attending the School.
- While non-AMSI Member students are welcome to attend and participate in the School, there are currently no Grants available through AMSI to assist with travel, accommodation and/or other costs.
The Grant Application Form will take approx. 5-10 minutes to complete, and will ask applicants to answer a number of questions, including 200 words of less (for each answer) on;
- Why they are attending and want to participate in the AMSI Winter School 2017 program,
- How participating in the program will benefit their skills, development and career, and
- Any other information that they think event organisers should know that is relevant to the grant application.
Applicants will be also asked to provide a Letter of Support from a current supervisor, honours coordinator, and/or head of school/department to support their application for funding to attend AMSI Winter School 2017.
The Committee will examine all applications received by 11.59pm on 21 May 2017, and discuss grants and funding levels during the review period with relevant stakeholders including AMSI Member Representatives, and the Local Organising Committee. The Committee may seek additional information and/or advice during this time. Successful applicants will be notified by email with a Grant Notification Letter by 5.00pm on 26 May 2017.
Acceptance of Grant
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Grant as per the Grant Notification letter by 5.00pm on 29 May 2017. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and may be offered to other applicants.
After the Event
Travel funding, if awarded, will be provided after the event. The attendee must submit tax invoices (where possible) or other receipts for their travel to their own university, which can then invoice the appropriate organisation for reimbursement up to the agreed maximum amount.
Payment of Grant
The attendee must submit tax invoices/receipts for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement, with funding awarded to a capped amount for each item. Accommodation funding, if awarded, will be provided direct to UniLodge South Bank, except in special circumstances.
NOTE: It is the applicants’ responsibility to check their university guidelines before booking travel
The home university must then produce an invoice to claim the expense, addressed to:
- The Queensland University of Technology
Invoices must include the following details:
- Date and Full Name of the Event
- Name of the Grant Recipient
- Name of the Person/s who Travelled to the Event
- Tax Invoices/Receipts relating to each Expense
Professor Ian Turner, Event Director
Andree Phillips, Event Assistant
Vacant, AMSI Program Manager, Research & Higher Education
Vacant, AMSI Project Coordinator, Research & Higher Education